Skip to content

Stocksbridge fall to pieces against struggling Ossett United

It was an evening for Stocksbridge Park Steels to forget as they fail to firm up their position in the playoffs as they fall to an Ossett team who claim the win after their six-game losing streak.

It was a cagey start by both teams, but it was Ossett United who had the best chance to open the scoring. Stocksbridge failed to clear their lines from a freekick, and the ball fell to Alex Peterson at the back post but couldn’t direct his header on target.

Ossett United’s substitute took one for the team as he takes his marching orders as the referee didn’t know who said the choice words, so David Brown convinced the referee that it was him and walked.  

Ossett United forward looks on, seeing his header go well over.

This didn’t deter Ossett as they kept coming forward and again had the chance to open the scoring. The corner came in and again the home side didn’t deal with the loose ball, but Ossett’s captain couldn’t direct it towards the goal.

Midway through the first half Stocksbridge Park Steels finally came to life, as mustered up three golden opportunities to break the deadlock but Ossett defended well and eventually cleared the ball to safety.

Thomas Poole watches his freekick go just wide.

Ossett United’s dominance finally paid off towards the end of the half, a lofty ball broke the home side’s backline and Janusz Lipka had the presence of mind to lift it over the on-rushing Ben Townsend for 1-0.

Stocksbridge despite being second best for most of the half equalled the game before half time a lovely low ball from the left-hand side for Ross Goodwin to slot home from close range and both sides go into the half-time break all square.

Ossett United celebrate after their second goal.

Ossett wasted no time as they restored their one-goal lead almost straight from kick-off, winger Harry Coates danced through two or three challenges before he calmly slotted into the back of the net, 2-1 to the visitors.

The best chance of the second half for the hosts came from a freekick on the edge of the box but Thomas Poole put the freekick just wide of the post.

Ossett made sure of the points a ball from the right wing came into the box and the Ossett forward rose highest over the Stocksbridge keeper Townsend to head home for the third and final nail in the Stocksbridge coffin.

What do you think?