Skip to content

Bristol City Fail to capitalise against ‘soulless’ Terriers despite dominance.

Going into this match Huddersfield seemed to be glued into the relegation zone of the championship with the ‘new manager boost’ seemingly absent after an initial 2-1 win followed by back-to-back 4nil defeats. Bristol City were also looking to get a result out of this match after a 2-nil defeat in the Severn-side derby last weekend.

Early on Terriers fans would have been frustrated following what seemed to be a collision involving the robins keeper and Danny Ward. The collision however resembled MMA more than football which left fans bemused as to why there was no foul or penalty given.

The first real chance of the game came from the visitors who put a low cross into the box but the effort went high and wide of the net. The game up to this point was a dull-physical affair , many fans predicted this due to the two teams similar style of play. Bristol City perhaps looked the better side however with slightly more quality in their build up play.

Ten minutes later the Robins tested the hosts again with a header at the back post from Sykes and then the resulting corner after the save from that effort led to a missed chance that the visitors will not want to see again . Huddersfield were yet to test their opposition.

Another penalty shout occurred in the 44th minute just moments before the closing of the first half but the questionable refereeing continued  as it seemed even the Bristol players were convinced it was a penalty.

Getty Images

The first half ended 0-0 and the John Smiths Stadium was seemingly void of any life yet alone atmosphere. The home side failed  to create any clear cut chances and their decision making baffled both myself and the home supporters . Bristol City were unlucky not to score on multiple occasions as last ditch defending saved the hosts on many occasions. With third division football peering over at the Terriers they needed to be much better in the second half.

10 minutes into the second half Huddersfield looked the slightly better side as they largely halted all of Bristol’s passes . Sykes however found an opportunity to break the hosts line but his shot is placed straight at the keeper.

Bristol City took complete control of the second half straight after  their first chance , Huddersfield ,despite looking better early on , were now defending ‘for their lives ‘ so to speak as the Robins charged at them with every possession.

The introduction of Andreas Weimann excited the travelling fans as up to this point they lacked a finishing touch and his 22 goals in the previous championship campaign showed that he knows where the back of the net is , expectations where therefore high to say the least.

Still goalless in the 88th minute and the referee was stealing all the headlines with a now more than questionable performance. Shirt pulls are being penalised whilst studs up tackles with seemingly no intention of regaining possession go unnoticed.

Full time and the game ended 0-0 the only side that can take any real positive away from this match is Huddersfield as they didn’t concede regardless of the amount of chances they had against them . Bristol had an entire second half of dominance that they did not capitalise on , regardless of this both teams may also feel that they had nailed on penalties denied that left the game goalless.

Huddersfield Town 0 Bristol City 0