Skip to content

Selby Ladies 10-39 Yarnbury Ladies 


By Billy North Lewis 

Yarnbury Ladies win their opening Yorkshire Cup match against Selby as they advance to the third round of the cup. 

This would also be their third consecutive win in all competitions this season. 

Seconds into the start of the game Yarnbury were straight into Selby’s 5 metre line until full back Ruth Flory found space and went over to score but tighthead prop Georgia Thompson would miss the conversion. Minutes after, Flory would dash down the line she would find inside centre Max Barker who scored down the corner. Thompson had a tough conversion which she just missed. Yarnbury would go over for another score when Thompson crashed into Selby’s defence she passed it to fly half Ellie Buck who found outside centre Emily Simister who would score and Thompson would score the first conversion for Yarnbury. Selby though would respond with their first try when winger Emily Owen would go all the way down the line to score Selby’s first try. Fly half Meganne Birch would miss the conversion. Coming into the last ten minutes of the half Thompson and Yarnbury captain Lauren Morgan would show great strength against the Selby defence, they would find Flory again who went through to score along with a conversion from Thompson. Just before halftime Simister would use her pace to go down the line who then passed the ball to winger Tyler Moore who scored the try, but no conversion from Thompson. Yarnbury would take a 5-29 lead at halftime. 

The start of the second half was nothing but scrums for most of it until Yarnbury were close to scoring their first try of the half after a dominating maul when Morgan went out of the maul she gave the ball to Thompson who would give it to Moore but she would knock the ball on, a scrum would be given to Selby. Selby would eventually get their first try from Abi Odell who moved from second row to centre as she would show great power to get over the line for the try. Birch had another chance with the conversion but the ball went wide. Yarnbury would finally get their first try of the second half when the ball was passed to Morgan she was tackled down but would then offload it to second row Hannah Waller who would score. Thompson would just miss the conversion. A penalty was awarded to Yarnbury and Harriet Cochran took a quick tap and go she would then be tackled down but Buck passed the ball to Thompson who would score down the corner but she would miss the conversion yet again and the full-time whistle was blown. 



E. Owen ‘16 

A. Odell ‘63 



R. Flory (2) ‘0 ‘30 

M. Barker ‘8 

E. Simister ‘13 

T. Moore ‘40 

H. Waller ‘67 

G. Thompson ‘80 


G. Thompson (2) ‘14 ‘30 

What do you think?