By Elizabeth Archer
A blaze forced elderly residents in Ilkley out of their homes last night (Monday) after a mobility scooter caught fire in the garage of a block of flats for the over 55s.
Four fire engines, three police vans and two ambulances attended the fire at Leconfield House on Springs Lane after numerous calls to the emergency services.
Shocked residents were sheltered by staff at the Tesco supermarket across the road, while firefighters used to hose reels and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Major fire at a block of flats in #Ilkley. Elderly evacuees sitting with blankets outside Tesco…
— Damon Bowles (@chimneydog) June 29, 2015
Concerned neighbours and relatives rallied around the residents, who were able to return to their homes around 10:30pm when the smoke had been cleared by ventilation fans.
Hoping no-one is seriously hurt. Local community rallying round as a block of flats has been evacuated. #Ilkley
— Jaimielee Rendall (@JaimieleeRen) June 29, 2015
Fire crews attended from Ilkley, Otley, Rawdon and Silsden fire stations.