Skip to content

Harrogate salvage a point against Northampton

In a tight game, the points were shared between Harrogate and Northampton as Pinnock’s opener was cancelled out by Armstrong’s equalizer.

The Harrogate Town fans were in full voice at the beginning of the game and were trying to spur their team on this cold Tuesday night.

The match started evenly, with both teams looking up for the fight as Harrogate were desperate to try to pull away from the bottom two and Northampton trying to cement a place in the playoff positions.

After the first 15 minutes, despite Northampton’s superior possession it was still goalless due to Harrogate’s resolute defending.

But the hosts gradually grew into the game, however it was evident there was a lack of quality at the start of the game as both sides struggled to find their rhythm.

The first half chance fell to Northampton’s Aaron McGowan when he found space on the edge of the box, but his shot was always curling over the bar.

After about 25 minutes the visitors won a free kick not far from the corner spot. But Mitch Pinnock got the pass horribly wrong as it went out for a Harrogate throw-in.

Shortly afterwards, Jack Muldoon put the ball in the back of the net for the home side after getting on the end of a through ball, only for the linesman to call it back for offside.

Then Harrogate had their first real opportunity when the ball was whipped into the box, but Danny Grant couldn’t quite direct his header towards the goal as the ball went out for a goal kick.

Muldoon won a free kick for Harrogate not long before the break from about 30 yards out. Matty Foulds floated the ball in but it fell to the away side fortunately for them.

But there were few chances for either side in the first half and the rain was starting to lash down which affected the players’ performance.

At the start of the second half, Harrogate showed some intent to score when Kazeem Olaigbe drove with the ball before taking the shot on but he lashed it over the bar.

In the 49th minute the deadlock was broken by Northampton when Pinnock found space on the edge of the box before his attempt at goal took a slight deflection and ended up in the bottom right corner.

However, there was an immediate response from Harrogate when Armstrong dribbled into the box before taking aim and rifled it into the bottom left corner to put the hosts on level terms once again.

This gave the home crowd hope that they could go on and win the game and were fully backing the players.

Harrogate’s keeper Mark Oxley breathed a sigh of relief when he nearly spilled the ball in the penalty area but the ball bounced straight back to him fortunately for him.

With about half an hour left, Harrogate won a corner, but the ball was cleared by the visitors and the opportunity was wasted.

There was a chance for Harrogate when Grant tried to square it across the box for an attacking player, but no one could get on the end of his pass and Northampton got away with one.

After about 70 minutes of play, Harrogate were starting to take control of the match and were pushing for a second goal.

But as the game carried on, things got more tense as neither side wanted to concede that goal as a point would be crucial for both sides at both ends of the table.

With about 10 minutes left on the clock now, a few fouls were creeping into the game as both sides were relying on set-plays to create chances.

Harrogate’s man of the match was Armstrong as he looked the most lively up front for the hosts and grabbed that goal which could prove to be vital come the end of the season.

What do you think?