Skip to content

Wigan Athletic finally win at home at the expense of rivals Blackburn Rovers

Wigan’s first half dominance finally paid dividends in the second, as Nathan Broadhead scores the only goal that separated the two sides in this hotly contested Lancashire Derby.   

Wigan started the game the brighter and nearly opened the scoring in the first few minutes, a long ball over the top and Nathan Broadhead nearly latched onto Charlie Wyke’s flick on, but Kaminski was wise to it as he gathered the ball on the edge of his box.

A Max Power freekick from the right-hand side on the 13th minute was played into the front post but Naylor could only direct his diving header wide of the post.  

Kaminski was the busier of the two goal keepers in the opening 20 minutes as Wigan peppered the Blackburn box with cross after cross forcing Kaminski into some early saves with efforts from Broadhead, Keane and Wyke as Wigan continued to try and break the deadlock.

The only real chance for Blackburn came on the 30th minute, Wigan made the mistake at the back from a poor cross field ball which was cut out by Brereton Diaz but was forced out wide and Wigan managed to clear their lines as the fans breathed a big sigh of relief.

Will Keane should’ve opened the scoring as he intercepted a poor back pass from Blackburn’s Wharton, and found himself through on goal one on one with Kaminski, who made the save low down to his right-hand post to keep the score at 0-0.  

Blackburn did end the half the stronger with the odd half chances, but Wigan threw bodies in the line of fire to prevent Blackburn from going into the half time break a goal up as it remained level at the break.

Blackburn made a double change at half time, Dolan and Britton made way for Hedges and Szmodics, to try and change the trajectory of the game in their favour.  

Wigan started the brighter of the two sides once again in this second half, as they aimed to keep the pressure on their opponents for the remainder of the game and the Latics nearly drew first blood, with Whatmough who drove through the middle of the park unchallenged, but Blackburn subdued the attack.

George Hirst who was undoubtably the only bright spark for Blackburn in the second half making darting runs in behind the back line but had no support was taken off for Sam Gallagher.

Wigan’s high press paid off on the 62nd minute, Will Keane picked the pocket of the Blackburn defender Wharton on the edge of the box, with his initial effort on goal saved, Kaminski could only parry the ball into Nathan Broadhead’s path who tapped it into an empty net for 1-0 to the Latics.

Blackburn pressed for the equaliser, with their best chance which came in the form of a freekick that was swung in by Wharton towards the front post, but Britton couldn’t direct his shot goal wards.

As we approached the final ten minutes of the game, Wigan dictated the state of play, defending in numbers and managing the game down to the wire, Blackburn did have glimpses of hope as they continued to press for the equaliser, but Wigan held out to secure their first home win of the season.

Wigan were deservedly the winners tonight, they dominated from start to finish and it could have possibly been more than just the one goal, if it wasn’t for the efforts of Blackburn’s shot stopper Kaminski it could’ve been so much worse for Blackburn. This win tonight takes Wigan up to 9th just three points off the play offs, as for Blackburn this defeat takes them out of the top six level on points with Swansea City as they go into this weekend’s fixtures.  

What do you think?