Skip to content

Tigers see off late Warrington surge in thrilling encounter

By Matthew Beedle

Castleford Tigers made it two wins in as many games with a 30-22 win in an exciting contest at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Two tries each from Tom Lineham and Andre Savelio were’t enough for the Warrington Wolves as a Greg Eden double and tries from Jese-Sene Lefao, Greg Minikin and Zak Hardaker handed the Tigers a well-deserved win.

The visitors were without Paul McShane through suspension and Ben Roberts who pulled out late on due to a hamstring injury, while the hosts were missing fullback Kurt Gidley through illness.

The home side took the lead on the sixth minute through former Castleford loanee Savelio after Kevin Brown’s chipped kick was palmed down by Rhys Evans and the second rower dived over the try line.

A crazy eight minutes saw the Tigers turn around a poor start as Sene-Lefao crashed over after fantastic play by the Castleford halves freed the second rower to cross over the Warrington line.

Daryl Powell’s side then led through Hardaker after Mike McMeeken broke through the Wolves defence and sent Hardaker over for the Tigers second try of the game.

Eden then finished off another great move from the visitors moments later as he neatly dived over to send the travelling Tigers fans in to shock.

Castleford then went and scored straight from kick off as Hardaker broke through the defensive line and passed to Gale with 30 metres to go to hand the Tigers a 16-point lead.

The hosts reduced the deficit after quick thinking from Tom Lineham, whose quick scoop caught the Tigers defence off guard to make the score 22-10 at half time.

Lineham had his second of the game 18 minutes into the second half as Brown sent him down the left-hand side and the winger finished well under pressure from the Castleford defence and reduced the margin to just six points.

Powell’s side then increased their lead to 10 points on the 64th minute through Greg Minikin after great play from Adam Milner.

The hooker bounced off numerous Warrington players and the ball eventually made its way to Minikin who handed off Daryl Clarke to score his third try of the season.

Savelio then cross for his second try of the game to reduce the deficit to just four points with eight minutes to play.

Castleford increased their lead again through Eden who finished off another exciting move from the Tigers.

When the pressure was on, Gale came up with a big play with five minutes remaining. The stand-off drew in three Warrington defenders to release Hardaker who sent Eden over for his second try of the game.

It’s early days but the win takes Castleford back to the top of the Super League table on points difference after just two games.

Man of the match- Zak Hardaker

What do you think?