Skip to content

Super Salah too strong for City

Liverpool’s talisman Mo Salah’s brilliant solo goal gave the home side the win against title contenders Manchester City.

There will be some disgruntlement from the away supporters after the game as Foden’s goal was disallowed for a foul in the buildup.

The deadlock was finally broken late in the second half by Salah, who has given Liverpool a much-needed victory.

But the other controversy was when Liverpool’s Klopp was sent to the stands.

The much-anticipated fixture began evenly before there was a half-chance for Manchester City early doors when Joao Cancelo fizzled in a low cross in the 9th minute, but no one was able to get to it as Alisson came out to claim.

City’s Ilkay Gundogan found some space just outside the box before going for glory in the 14th minute, but he slipped as he took the shot as the ball trickled into the gloves of Alisson.

In the 20th minute Liverpool had their first shot on target when Diogo Jota got on the end of a floated cross from Harvey Elliott, but his header went straight at Ederson.

Liverpool had an opportunity in the 23rd minute when James Milner whipped in a cross which Ederson punched straight into the path of Andy Robertson but his attempt at goal went over the bar.

In the 27th minute Mohammed Salah played a nice ball into Elliott who nearly got one-on-one with City’s Ederson but took too many touches and the visitors were able to clear their lines.

In the 33rd minute City’s prolific striker Erling Haaland had a chance to boost his goal tally for the season when Phil Foden played a through ball into him before going for glory, but Alisson made himself big and parried the ball away from danger.

In the 40th minute Kevin De Bruyne lofted in a lovely through ball into Haaland as he headed towards the goal, but Liverpool’s shot-stopper Alisson was in a good position to keep the score 0-0.

There was a chance for the hosts just before the break when Fabinho got into a good position inside the box but could not find anyone to help him out as City stood firm to make sure the game was goalless at half time.

The second half started franticly as in the 50th minute there was a big chance missed for Liverpool when Salah went on an impressive run from the halfway line before going for goal inside the box, but Ederson made a great save to parry it out for a corner.

In the 53rd minute there was controversy when Foden’s goal was disallowed by VAR due to a foul by Haaland on Fabinho in the buildup.

Minutes later, Liverpool missed another big opportunity when Salah crossed it into Jota who had a free header, but his attempt at goal went straight at Ederson.

In the 63rd minute Liverpool’s Fabinho got the first booking of the game for a mistimed tackle.

Shortly afterwards, in the 64th minute Haaland got into a great position before taking aim towards goal, but his shot was well-saved by Alisson.

In the 69th minute Bernardo Silva tried his luck as he went for goal from about 25 yards out but went just wide of the post.

The match was now end-to-end football as Salah beat Ruben Dias for pace before shooting agonizingly wide of the net to somehow keep the score goalless after 70 minutes of play.

In the 72nd minute there was a triple sub for Liverpool as Firmino replaced Nunez, Henderson for Fabinho and Carvalho for Elliott as they tried to bolster their attacking options.

In the 76th minute it was Liverpool who broke the deadlock when Alisson played a long through ball to Salah who went one-on-one with Ederson before slotting the ball into the bottom left corner to make the score 1-0.

Liverpool nearly doubled their lead shortly afterwards when Nunez went for glory outside the penalty area but couldn’t find the target.

City were getting frustrated at this point and Akanji went into the ref’s book for a foul on Nunez.

There was great defending from Virgil Van Dijk in the 81st minute when he blocked what would’ve been a great cross by Cancelo into Haaland to keep the score 1-0.

Things were getting feisty towards the end of the game as Thiago got booked in the 84th minute for a late challenge.

In the 86th minute Liverpool’s manager Jurgen Klopp was sent off for being too vocal on the touchline.

In the 89th minute there was a defensive substitution for Liverpool when Salah came off for Trent Alexander-Arnold.

In the first minute of injury time there was a booking for Jota as well as they held on for the victory.

What do you think?