Skip to content

House fire in Horsforth could have ended in disaster

By Alex Rhodes

Fire crews from Rawdon and Stanningley were called to a house fire in Horsforth caused by a cooker yesterday afternoon.

Although the fire had been brought under control by the time firemen arrived at Broadgate Lane at 1.23pm, one man was taken to hospital after inhaling smoke from the blaze.

Nigel Atkins, station commander for Rawdon fire station, said: “The important thing to take away is don’t leave cooking food unattended, even for a short period of time.”

The property had both smoke and heat detectors fitted and Nigel believed this allowed the occupant to extinguish the fire before it could cause serious damage or injury. He added: “It was lucky that the detectors had been fitted otherwise this definitely could have been a lot worse.”

What do you think?