Skip to content

Heartbreak in Headingley as Leeds Rhinos lose late on to Rampant Hull FC.

Leeds Rhinos came into this game on the back of a ‘battering’ from the hands of Warrington wolves. Fans would have been expecting a much better showing from their team this time around, especially since they were at home. Hull on the other hand set up to pile more misery onto Rhinos early on in this super league campaign.

The match started with Rhinos kicking to Hull FC who were forced to punt up the field early on into their first run at Rhinos. Leeds then went on a counterattack and almost salvaged a try out of a loose pass, but the old faithful recovered with ease.

The first real chance of any points came to Rhinos who almost latched onto the ball when it was hovering around Hulls goal, but the ball went out of play and possession was returned to Hull. They then went on to fumble the ball in similar fashion to their opponents which returned possession to the hosts.

The first try of the match was scored by Hull FC, Scott forced himself through the right-hand side of the pitch and more importantly forced himself through the rather docile Rhinos defence. The conversion kick was, however, missed.

Not long after Hulls initial Try, Rhinos followed up with one of their own coming from Cameron Smith who just about got the ball over the line, Leeds then scored the conversion taking the advantage for the time being.

The visitors reclaimed their earlier advantage after a mistake, Sutcliffe took full advantage of the situation he found himself in and slammed the ball down for Hulls second try of the match, this time the conversion kick was dispatched comfortably by Clifford.

Getty Images

At half time Hull Fc where ahead by 4 but it could have been more as, rather controversially, they had a try ruled out which is all Rhinos could ask for as they looked far from there best. Almost every time the ball came close to Hulls goal they recovered sometimes with ease. Rhinos’ best chances came from the right wing which looked exposed throughout most of the first half. The hosts were left with a lot of work to do in the second half but looked hopeful of getting a result.

After a quiet opening to the second half Hull broke away from the entire Rhinos team and were faced only buy one defender, a quick pass to smith was all it took for Hulls third try of the night and Smiths second. Rhinos then found themselves ten behind with half an hour left after the conversion was scored.

Around Ten minutes after Hulls’ previous try the hosts scored one of their own with Lemming shrugging off multiple tackle attempts and diving into the try area before Martin converted his kick which left the hosts only four behind.Many must have been thinking that Rhinos could go on to win the match.

After a series of mistakes from the hosts the home fans started letting their frustrations known especially from the south stand. This may have only aided Hull, however, as they charged forward yet again.

With only ten minutes left on the clock a smart pass led to Rhinos equalising and after a yet another conversion from Rhyse Martin, they found themselves with 8 minutes to defend a narrow lead in what was an incredibly tight affair.

It wasn’t meant to be for Rhinos however as Taylor forced himself through to another try for Hull which all but ended the match for Leeds. With less than five minutes left the hosts where down by four which they never recovered from. Rhinos 18 – Hull FC 22