Skip to content

Bradford earns the local bragging rights as they edge Doncaster 1-0

In an entertaining Yorkshire derby, Bradford edged Doncaster by one goal to nil when their No 9 Andy Cook scored in the second half to send the visitors into the play-off race.

The game had a lively start, with the 4,000 Bradford City supporters in full voice. This appeared to fire the players up.

The first chance fell to Bradford’s Jamie Walker who tried to curl it into the far corner just outside the box, but Doncaster’s Jonathan Mitchell made an outstanding double save to keep the visitors at bay.

But the hosts gradually grew into the game and won a free kick from about 30 yards after about 11 minutes of play. Ben Close whipped it into the box for Doncaster but the away side were able to clear their lines.

The rain started to come down after about 15 minutes and was starting to affect both sides.

Shortly afterwards, full-back Brad Halliday tried to square it into the box, but nothing came of it and Mitchell proved his quality yet again to keep the score 0-0.

There was some controversy when Bradford’s Andy Cook went down in the box and the away fans were calling for a penalty, but the referee waved away the protests and the home side got the ball away from danger.

Mark Hughes’ Bradford won a free kick from about 25 yards out after about 25 minutes. Captain Richie Smallwood floated it into the box, but no one could get their head onto it and Doncaster defended well.

With just over half an hour having been played, Danny Scofield’s Doncaster won another free kick as Close whipped it in again and Bradford nearly put it in their own net as the ball smashed against the crossbar and went over.

In the 41st passage of play Andy Cook got on the end of a long ball and went for goal first time, but the shot did not trouble Mitchell.

Just before the break Doncaster did force a save out of Harry Lewis when James Brown went for goal, but the keeper tipped it away to keep the match finely poised for the second half.

In the second half, Doncaster has the first half chance when Kyle Hurst went for goal in the box but his attempt at goal was a tame one and Bradford blocked it and were able to clear.

The match livened up when Hurst was fouled, and the Doncaster player reacted aggressively towards the opposing player but he got away with a caution from the ref. Close whipped the ball towards goal and Tommy Rowe headed it but his shot was saved by Lewis.

There was an opportunity for Bradford when their skipper took a fierce shot on the edge of the box, but Mitchell parried the ball away from danger.

Bradford now looked in control and Andy Cook got on the end of a cross before heading for the bottom corner, but Mitchell made another great save to keep the Bantams frustrated.

However, this did not bother the away supporters who carried on chanting loudly despite their team’s profligacy in front of goal.

In the 70th minute Doncaster made their first substitution as Harrison Biggins went off for Luke Molyneux to try to change the game.

Not long afterwards, Bradford finally got their reward from a set play when Cook got on the end of a corner and headed it in from close range to break the deadlock.

With about 10 minutes left on the clock, Doncaster got more frustrated as they pushed for an equaliser.

Shortly afterwards, Joseph Olowu went off for the hosts and was replaced by Caolan Lavery to try to shore up the defence.

With five minutes of added time, time was running out for Doncaster to get back into the game.

Doncaster won a corner with not long left on the clock, and the ball was whipped into the box, but no one could get there, and it went out for a goal kick to Bradford, who took their time taking it.

The result was significant for both teams as it boosted the Bantams’ chances of promotion while denting Doncaster’s.

What do you think?