Skip to content

Harrogate Town stretch unbeaten run with a 1-1 draw with play-off chasing Port Vale

Alex Pattison’s first-half goal was cancelled out by Ryan Edmundson’s second-half header as the spoils were shared at the EnviroVent Stadium.

The first chance of the encounter fell to the visitors when an out-swinging corner whipped into the penalty area was headed just over the crossbar by Ben Garrity.

The Sulphurites then had an opportunity of their own when Luke Armstrong worked himself space to get a left-footed shot away, however it deflected up in the air before landing in the arms of Tomas Holy.

Vale then threatened again after Joel Cooper’s tidy play on the right-hand side, he cut the ball back to Chris Hussey whose shot was blocked wide for a corner from Warren Burrell.

The West Midlands outfit continued to threaten when James Gibbons’ dangerous free-kick was headed just wide of the near-post from Garrity.

Vale skipper Tom Pett then whipped the ball into the 18-yard box which picked out Gibbons but his ambitious effort went harmlessly over the crossbar.

It was Simon Weaver’s team’s turn to come forward Armstrong got away down the right-hand side before fizzing a dangerous low-cross into Jack Muldoon but the forward was unable get his attempt on target.

The hosts broke the deadlock with 23 minutes on the clock after a neat bit of play between Jack Diamond and Muldoon before the latter picked out Alex Pattison inside the penalty area and he made no mistake in slotting the ball into the back of the net for his 10th goal of the season in all competitions.

Vale went in search of an equaliser and went close to finding it when Gibbons’ free-kick had to be pushed away from goal by Town keeper Mark Oxley.

The North Yorkshire side almost doubled their lead in extraordinary fashion when Lewis Page’s attempt from 40 yards out skimmed the crossbar.
Shortly after, the referee blew the half-time whistle to confirm the Sulphurites remained in front heading into the interval.

The visitors began the second period brightly and threatened to level the scoring when Pett’s original shot was blocked by recently introduced substitute Ryan Fallowfield before the ball came out to Cooper but he blazed his effort way over the bar.

The home team then had a decent spell of putting the Vale defence under pressure which eventually ended with Pattison’s left-footed strike from the edge of the 18-yard box being comfortably gathered by Holy.

The Sulphurites then came forward again when Muldoon found Diamond on the left0hand side who took on his man before blasting his left-footed shot wide of the post.

It was Muldoon’s turn to go close when he worked his way into the penalty area before having his eventual shot pushed out for a corner by Holy at the near post.

The away side thought they drew-level when Gibbons’ cross was headed into the back of the net by Edmundson, however, it was ruled out due to a foul in the build-up.

However, moments later, Vale did score a leveller and it was the same combination as Gibbons’ cross was headed in by Edmundson to get his side back on level terms.

Edmundson then had another opportunity to score from a header, however, this time he was denied by Moxley.

Vale then won a free-kick well within shooting range but Gibbons struck it way off target.

The visitors went agonisingly close to snatching all three points when Wilson’s curling effort was only denied by the crossbar.

The referee then blew his full-time whistle meaning the game finished all square in North Yorkshire.

HARROGATE: Mark Oxley (GK); Lewis Page (booked 11’), Josh Falkingham © (Ryan Fallowfield 54’), Will Smith, Warren Burrell; George Thomson, Nathan Sheron (booked 69’), Alex Pattison, Jack Muldoon (Brahima Diarra 73’); Jack Diamond, Luke Armstrong (Mark Beck 70’). SUBS (not used): Joe Cracknell (GK), Lewis Richards, Callum Kavanagh.

GOALS: Alex Pattison (23’).

PORT VALE: Tomas Holy (GK); James Gibbons, Brad Walker (Aaron Martin 46’), Connor Hall, Nathan Smith; Ben Garrity, Chris Hussey (David Worrall (67’), Tom Pett © (Harry Charsley 67’) (booked 80’), Ryan Edmundson; Joel Cooper, James Wilson. SUBS (not used): Aidan Stone (GK), Alex Hurst, David Amoo, Kian Harratt.

GOALS: Ryan Edmundson (68’).

REFEREE: Darren Bond.

ATTENDANCE: 2,257 (including 405 Port Vale fans)

What do you think?