Skip to content

From our broken hearts must come change within our communities

A young 15-year-old victim named Elianne Andam was attacked in board daylight on Wellesley Road, South London by a 17-year-old boy on their way to school, had sparked outrage, sadness, and fear amongst the general public nationwide.

The 17-year-old suspect has been arrested; however the incident has begun the opening conversation on the safety of our youths today from the concerns of parents/guardians, teachers, local bus drivers and passengers alike.

The horror unfolded with many expressing their worries on their child/children taking public transport to school from three-quarters (77%) of Londoners felt knife crime was a problem locally, while two-thirds (64%) felt gangs were a problem.

Janet Pinnock (59), a nursery worker and mother of two girls, said: “Now-a-days I really do consider taking my girls to school myself, after hearing about the stabbings and harassment they face from men and boys on the bus, I do worry”.

Alongside, several parents/guardians with children strongly believe that there should be an age limitation on school buses to decrease the violence that youths are facing currently. With 74% of younger residents aged 16-24 reported their concerns about knife crime, whilst 63% of older residents aged 65+ tend to be least concerned about such issue.

However, according to the Office for National Statistics, most young people aged 16-24 felt safe in local areas with 26%, leaving most aged 25-34 with an alarming 74% of concern for their safety.

One bus driver of the W11 [Chingford Mount, London route] said: “Public transport isn’t the issue here, if not on the buses, the troublesome ones with find another place to carry on with mischief”. Following another bus driver of the 158 [Stratford, London] said: “If anything, the buses are the safest places to be, because they are other passengers that can aid in the situation”.

What do you think?