Skip to content

Doncaster Rovers 0 vs 1 Hartlepool United match report – Dominate Donnie left to rue missed chances

Doncaster Rovers rocked by a late Dan Dodds goal, as Rovers now fall to a third defeat in a row and their playoff hopes takes another blow.    

Hartlepool settled down the quickest in the opening five minutes of the first half, passing the ball around and found time and space to swing in a few crosses that Doncaster had to deal with. Doncaster struggled to get hold of the ball and make any in roads into the attacking half.

Doncaster’s best chance of the half came from a corner, Close aimed it at the far post, which was headed back across goal, but Caolan Lavery couldn’t direct his header on target, Doncaster Rovers started to dominate midway through the first half.  

Hartlepool’s best chance of the half came from a throw-in routine, a quick one – two with Danial Kemp which allowed him to break free into the box and pulled it back to only see Tayt Trusty to scuff this shot wide, moments later a long ball over the top released Hartlepool United’s debutant Oliver Finney one on one with Johnathan Mitchell but his dink over the keeper couldn’t find the target.

Doncaster came close to scoring in the dying minutes of the half, a freekick on the edge of the box and this time Oliver Finney forced Jakub Stolarczyk into a save, as both teams went into the half time break still all square.

After a poor first half – Doncaster had their tails up in the second, and in the opening ten minutes of the restart the home side had numerous of chances to open the scoring – Lavery’s shot was well saved low down and then moments later Lavery turned provider, but a poor touch by Harrison saw the ball safety into the keepers hands, Doncaster were lining up to have a go, George Miller with an effort from the edge of the box was saved well and then Harrison blazed over from close range.

Hartlepool were seemingly hanging on as Doncaster continued to barrage their goal with shot after shot, but somehow the home side couldn’t find the back of the net, as we approached the final ten minutes of the game, Hartlepool were being limited to half chances which came to nothing.

The best chance and only real chance for the visitors came 12 minutes from time, a corner routine as it found its way to Jamie Sterry on the edge of the box and his rocket of a shot just went wide of the post and Mitchell scrambling.

And then with two minutes remaining and completely against the run of play, Hartlepool United found themselves in front – a long ball was looped out to the far side by substitute Josh Umerah and released Dan Dodds who’s shot cannoned off the post and into the back of the net much to the delight of the 1,032 traveling fans, as a chorus of ‘sack the board’ rang round the home supporters.

It is now three defeats in a row now for Donnie, but a much welcomed three points for Hartlepool United who still languish near the bottom end of the league table.   

What do you think?