Skip to content

Disappointing collapse from Leeds gifts Palace the three points

At a packed-out Elland Road, a second half collapse from Leeds gave Crystal Palace the win which puts the home side back into the relegation battle.

The first opportunity of the game fell to Leeds’ attacking midfielder Luis Sinisterra in the second minute when he picked up a loose ball inside the penalty area before going for goal, but his shot went just wide.

There was a big chance for Leeds early on when Junior Firpo dribbled into the box before squaring it to Brendan Aaronson who took the shot on, but Palace keeper Sam Johnstone made a good save to keep the score goalless.

The Leeds fans were in full voice at a sunny Elland Road and were fully behind the team as they pushed for that all important goal.

After the first 15 minutes Javi Gracia’s side were dominating possession and looked in control of the match.

Shortly afterwards, Aaronson won a free kick for Leeds from about 30 yards out. But it fell to nothing in the end as Patrick Bamford struggled to control Aaronson’s cross.

Leeds broke the deadlock in the 20th minute when Aaronson whipped in a cross from a corner before Bamford’s powerful header hit the back of the net to make the score 1-0 to the hosts.

Roy Hodgson’s Palace won their first corner after 25 minutes to try and get back into the game, but they struggled to really threaten Illan Meslier and Leeds held their nerve.

Not long after, Firpo won a free kick for Leeds on the edge of the box. Winger Jack Harrison stepped up, but his curling shot was parried away by Johnstone for now.

Leeds’ Aaronson was pulling the strings in midfield and was at the heart of all their attacks in the first half.

Not long before the break there was a free kick for Palace and a booking for Firpo. Olise went for goal, but it was easy enough for Meslier who comfortably caught it.

However, Leeds couldn’t deal with the next free kick as Marc Guehi headed it in from close range after a flick on from Jeffrey Schlupp to equalize for the visitors on the stroke of half time.

At the start of the second half, Palace were gradually growing into the game and got their second goal of the game in the 53rd minute when Jordan Ayew rose above everyone else and headed it past Meslier to put the visitors in front now.

There was a three-minute salvo for Palace when Eze went through on goal before slotting it into the bottom corner to double the visitors’ lead in the 56th minute.

The tide had now turned to Palace’s favour now as they looked much the better team in the second half and Leeds struggled to cope with their passing.

The home crowd were beginning to get anxious as Leeds tried to get back into the game after about 65 minutes of play.

But Palace made it 4-1 to them when they caught Leeds on the counter and striker Odsonne Edouard sealed the three points for the visitors after another assist from Olise.

In the 77th minute Ayew bagged a brace to make it 5-1 to the away side after getting on the end of a blocked shot.

The home supporters were now starting to leave in their droves as the scoreline kept on getting worse for them.

With about 5 minutes to go, Palace were defending very well to prevent Leeds from getting a consolation goal.

The result means Palace have nearly secured Premier League safety, but it is an uncertain time for Leeds who have tumbled down the table and are still fighting to stave off the drop zone.

What do you think?