Skip to content

Spiking victim warns Horsforth revellers to be on their guard in local pubs



Alix Mosley, of Horsforth, is warning pub-goers to be vigilant after her drink was spiked

By Anna Riley

A MUM-OF-THREE whose drink was spiked with a tranquiliser in a Horsforth bar is urging pub-goers to be vigilant after 18 other victims contacted her on social media.

Alix Mosley, 48, posted on Facebook to warn the public after hospital tests showed ketamine – which can cause a loss of feeling and paralysis of the muscles – had been put in her drink at Kobe Bar on New Road Side on September 3.

Alix, who was with a 28-year-old friend, whose drink was also spiked, said: “I just wanted to warn others in the run up to Halloween and Christmas festivities.

“We’d only had one drink in a different bar before arriving at Kobe. After we got another in there both of us started to feel flushed and dizzy. The next thing I knew I woke up in bed fully clothed with no memory of the night.

“I rang my friend and she was crying, saying she had woken up in her garage with the contents of her handbag strewn everywhere.

“It was a real shock.”

The incident resulted in a visit to hospital for Alix, who already suffered from poor health, and tests showed ketamine in her blood.

Her Facebook post resulted in 18 men and women replying they and some of their friends had also had their drinks spiked in bars in Horsforth within the last three months.

The most recent incident was only two weeks ago and all have been on a Saturday.

One of three men who replied to Alix was a 65-year-old who had recently undergone heart bypass surgery and had to be readmitted to hospital for care as a result.

Another told Alix that he was too ashamed to even tell his wife about the spiking.

Alix said: “Spiking is becoming an epidemic in Horsforth and anyone is fair game. Don’t think they won’t come for you.

“It seems to be a joke to the men out there doing this and they don’t seem to realise that it isn’t funny.

“If what happened to me makes just one person stop and think about guarding their drink better, that’s what I want.”

West Yorkshire Police took a statement from Alix yesterday (October 20).

Davina Flaherty, communications officer, said: “Enquiries are ongoing. We have not had any other report about this but are aware of references to other incidents on social media and would encourage those people come forward.”

The police are scanning CCTV to find the culprits and Pubwatch are also aware of the reported incident.

Kimberly Ingram, deputy manager at Kobe Bar said: “No customers have officially come forward to us about spiking in the bar but we are taking extra precautions after the issue was raised on social media.

“Extra bouncers have been put in place at the weekend and we will be conducting more regular bag searches for drugs.”

According to the NHS, hundreds of people are thought to be victims of drink spiking every year in the UK. Many more incidents happen abroad or go unreported due to embarrassment or memory loss.

Drink spiking is illegal and can result in a maximum of 10 years in prison for anyone who is found guilty.

In extreme cases, spiking can lead to a coma or even death.

Typical signs of spiking according to the Health Exchange Organisation are lowered inhibitions, memory loss, difficulty concentrating or speaking, loss of balance, feeling confused or disorientated, particularly after waking up, nausea, vomiting and unconsciousness.

If you have any information on spiking in the area or would like to report a crime, West Yorkshire Police can be contacted on 101.

What do you think?