By Elizabeth Archer
A blaze forced elderly residents in Ilkley out of their homes last night (Monday) after a mobility scooter caught fire in the garage of a block of flats for the over 55s.
Four fire engines, three police vans and two ambulances attended the fire at Leconfield House on Springs Lane after numerous calls to the emergency services.
Shocked residents were sheltered by staff at the Tesco supermarket across the road, while firefighters used to hose reels and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
Major fire at a block of flats in #Ilkley. Elderly evacuees sitting with blankets outside Tesco…
— Damon Bowles (@chimneydog) June 29, 2015